The Public School Forum released its Top 10 Education Issues for 2017 during the 3rd Annual Eggs & Issues Breakfast in Raleigh. QuintilesIMS was the presenting sponsor for this year's event. Forum President and Executive Director Keith Poston and James E. Ford, the Forum's Program Director and former NC Teacher of the Year, presented the annual list to more than 225 business, education and government leaders. The full publication can be downloaded here.
"Our Top 10 revisits some familiar themes from previous years including teacher pay and per pupil spending, two areas where our state ranks near the bottom nationally," Poston said. "New issues for 2017 include changes in education leadership brought on in part by the 2016 election, as well as a larger focus on principal pay and preparation."
Public School Forum of North Carolina's Top 10 Education Issues for 2017
1. Exercise Strong Education Leadership for North Carolina's Children
2. Fund North Carolina's Public Schools Fairly and Adequately
3. Make Teaching in North Carolina Great Again
4. Improve Access, Equity, and Accountability in School Choice
5. Overhaul Principal Pay and Invest in Preparing the Next Generation of School Leaders
6. Maintain a Strong Focus on Race in Public Education
7. Improve Grade-Level Reading through Comprehesnsive Investments in Early Childhood
8. Enable the Transition to Personalized, Digital-Age Learning Models
9. Create Meaningful and Streamlined Assessments
10. Increase Support for the State's Struggling Schools